Creative Writing Competition for Ages 4-18
Brand-new for 2022 Young Writers introduces its Annual Showcase
which celebrates all writing styles and has a 1,000-word limit.
Open to all 4-18 year-olds to showcase their best piece of work; this could be something that they’ve already written this academic year or a new piece can be created especially for entry into the Young Writers' Annual Showcase 2022.
It's a fantastic way to us all to appreciate extended writing on all themes as well as a great opportunity for young writers to write at length. From song lyrics and blog posts, to stories, scripts or an essay, we cannot wait to read the work we receive...
Here's how to get involved:
- Does your child have a piece of work they love? Then enter it!
- Have a flick through their English books when they come home at the end of term - is there a fantastic piece in there that you can enter, or could it be extended to maximise the 1,000-word limit?
- Would they like to write a new piece instead - go for it!
- Sign up to our news here to ensure you receive a weekly writing challenge throughout August, which looks at extended writing ideas
- Make it a family activity as all 4-18 year-olds in the UK can enter. Siblings can co-write a 1,000-word piece if they wanted to!
- Invite your pupils to choose their favourite piece of English work this year to enter
- Or photocopy your favourite pupil pieces and enter them!
- Why not use the Young Writers' Annual Showcase as an end of term or summer holiday activity? Download the poster to advertise it here
- Get younger pupils writing in pairs or groups (up to 6) to help them maximise the 1,000 word limit
- Download the parent flyer and email it out so parents can enter directly if you don’t want to take part as a school (though you’ll forfeit some great benefits!) Though do email it to any of your leavers who might like to take part!
- Have you got a piece of work that you’re really proud of that you’ve written this academic year – get a copy and enter it!
- Perhaps there is a piece of work you’ve written that you’d like to extend as the word limit is 1,000 words... Re-read, edit, extend and enter it!
- Maybe you fancy trying to write something new? Then take the summer to learn different styles of writing before creating your piece
- Sign up to our news here (Young Writer option) to ensure you receive a weekly writing challenge throughout August, which looks a different writing style each week
- Make sure you have your parents’ permission to enter before you email or upload your entry!
For further info on how to take part, prizes and ideas visit our Young Writers’ Annual Showcase web page. The closing date is the 19th September 2022, so there is plenty of time to get involved in this creative writing competition!
News sign up link: https://www.youngwriters.co.uk/subscribe
Email: [email protected]