City of Angels
by Cassandra Clare
Author: Cassandra Clare
This week, I have read “City of Fallen Angels” by Cassandra Clare. The book is part of “The Mortal Instruments” series and it is the fourth book. “City of Fallen Angels” follows the third book in the series (“City of Glass”) in which the main character Clary finds out that Jace is not her brother. This news provides a plot twist for the following book.
The book is about a world of Shadowhunters, warlocks, vampires and other fictional characters. The main character, Clary, is a Shadowhunter who is training to become better at killing demons. Her training is disrupted by a mysterious event in which someone she loves is made to hate her. I do not want to give too much of the story away because I wish that other people will enjoy it as much as I did. The book is easier to understand if you have read the books in the series that come before this one.
I enjoyed this book because the idea of it could not be real and the events that happened could not exist in real-life. I also enjoyed this book because the storyline was beautifully created and linked together. My favourite part of the story is when Jace (a Shadowhunter) is taken by Sebastian (a half-demon). This is because the event happens at the very end of the book and it causes a cliff-hanger. I also like this part of the story because the book seems like it will have a happy ending until this event occurs in the last few pages. I think this was a good idea for the writer to do this because it makes the story more interesting and changes people’s opinions about the characters/book.
My favourite character is Magnus (a warlock) because he goes around helping Alec (a Shadowhunter) and his friends without charging them. He does this because he is in love with Alec and wants him to be safe.
What I disliked about the book was that it was written in third person. I would have preferred it to be written in first person, perhaps with the chapters alternating the narrative between the two main character’s (Clary and Jace) points of view. I would prefer this because as a reader, you could learn more about the characters that are narrating and their opinions.
Overall, I thought this book was very enjoyable to read. I cannot wait to read the next two books in the series!
My short glossary for “City of Fallen Angels”:
Charlotte Creed (13)
- Daylighter- A Daylighter is a vampire that has the capability of walking in daylight whereas a normal vampire would be destroyed.
- Demon- A demon is an evil creature that can travel between dimensions. They are killed by Shadowhunters.
- Downworlder- A Downworlder is a creature who is part human and part demon.
- Lycanthropes- These are werewolves. Werewolves are a species of Downworlders.
- The Mortal Instruments- These are three objects that are very powerful in the Shadowhunter world.
- The Praetor Lupus- This is an organisation of werewolves that look after orphaned Downworlders.
- Shadowhunter- A human that has Angel blood in its veins. They train to hunt and kill demons. Shadowhunters are mortal.
- Vampires- A creature that lives off blood. They cannot eat human food or go out in daylight. Vampires are immortal.
- Warlock- A creature that is part human and part demon. They can cast spells and they are immortal.