Imaginations can be ignited anywhere, it’s one thing the pandemic can’t restrict!
Did you know that the National Literacy Trust reported only 50% of children and young adults enjoy writing and it’s decreasing year on year... Let’s put a stop to that now!
Use Imagine! to inspire your students to create thought-provoking poetry. There's a lesson plan and poetry prompts that can be downloaded to help engage the most reluctant of writers too!
If your students are home learning or you want to go paperless, log in to your teacher account using the button below to use the fantastic Online Writing Portal. If you need a reminder of your school's login info please email [email protected] from your school email.
Let's set creativity alight in your classroom today with Imagine!
Send your entries, along with your school entry form, to:
Young Writers SS
Download the ideas poster
Pick 5 words for your class: E.g. 1. Democracy 2. Health 3. Image 4. Love 5. Loathe
Show your students the ideas poster and then give them the 5 words. Can they create an ‘Imagine if...’ thought to write about for all 5 words (or as many as they can). Then ask students to share their ideas and discuss them as a class.
E.g. Image - Imagine if we could only see thoughts not faces - Imagine if we all looked identical - Imagine if we could change our image with technology
Give your students the option of writing down any additional ideas after the discussion – all your students should have an idea to write about.
Get your students feeling by using 2020 news headlines to help talk about emotions and how they can use their feelings in their poetry writing.
Read each headline and ask students to tell you what it makes them feel:
1. New South Wales declares state of emergency over bushfires 2. COVID-19 outbreak officially labelled as a pandemic 3. George Floyd dies in police custody 4. NASA-SpaceX’s ‘Launch America’ takes off 5. Joe Biden has been elected the 46th president of the United States
Now ask them to create an ‘imagine’ idea for each headline, e.g.
1. South Wales declares state of emergency over bushfires Imagine if the world was about to end...
2. COVID-19 outbreak officially labelled as a pandemic Imagine if you could change history...
3. George Floyd dies in police custody Imagine if everyone was equal...
4. NASA-SpaceX’s ‘Launch America’ takes off Imagine if we all lived in space...
5. Joe Biden has been elected the 46th president of the United States Imagine if kids ruled the world...
This activity will help your students write heartfelt, thought-provoking poems about real-life events.
Get In Touch
Young Writers SS