It's here, it's finally here!!! Happy National Poetry Day
We've been waiting for this day for, well for a year! National Poetry Day has finally arrived and we're really excited to be bringing you so many exciting things to celebrate this huge day.
Much of our work centres around poetry and poets, so today really is a massive deal for us. We've been planning today for months now, and it might as well be Christmas we're so excited! There'll be loads of National Poetry Day fun over on our Twitter page including a special giveaway, so make to sure to head there and follow us. The National Poetry Day official website also has a wealth of activities, information and resources so head on over there to get stuck in.
To really celebrate the day, we've gathered some of the country's top poets and wordsmiths to provide you with the perfect inspiration to get writing, get your pupils writing, and to get stuck in.
- Check out our interview with Kate Wakeling and Elina Braslina. The poet and Illustrator pair talked to us about their collaboration 'Cloud Soup' as well as their writing/artistic journies, and what they love about poetry.
- Joshua Seigal has created us an exclusive blog. The comically genius poet shares with us his top tips for young poets, and even gives us a preview of a few of his poems from the brand new book 'Yapping Away'. Check out Joshua's Blog here.
- National Poetry Day Ambassador Simon Mole took the time to chat with us about his plans for this year, his brand new book 'I Love My Bike' and about his poetry workshops he's been running since lockdown. Watch our interview with Simon below.
- Superstar children's poet Dommy B has written Young Writers a special blog about some of his favourite poems, what National Poetry Day means to him, and some of his top tips for budding young poets. Have a read here and get inspired with Dommy B.
- Founder of the famous Poetry Zone, we chat with Roger Stevens about his undying love for poetry, about his upcoming book, and how his love of poetry begun. Watch the interview below.
- Guest judge, funny-man, musician, performance poet, rapper (there's probably more missing) Mark Grist came into Young Writers HQ for a cuppa and to perform for us his poem he created exclusively for us and National Poetry Day. Watch Mark perform "What is Special?" below.
- Last but not least! Check out our National Poetry Day recommended reads. We collected some of our favourite poetry books and put them into one shortlist to save you time and get you inspired. Check them out here.
We hope you have the best National Poetry Day ever, enjoy!